Poway Concrete Contractor
The Most Trusted Concrete Contractors in Poway from Encinitas, CA
Get Your Quote for Concrete and Masonry
Call (760) 283-6733
Like any other masonry project in Poway, brick can experience various problems such as flaking and cracking. When this happens, it can decrease the curb appeal of your home. It can also be a sign of a much bigger problem.
When you notice any of these signs, you should get in touch with Encinitas Pro Concrete Co. at (760) 283-6733 for free estimates.
Warning Signs of Brick Problems
There are several warning signs you should be on the lookout for. These include:
- Step cracks – These are often as a result of a settling wall
- Cracks in vertical corners – These are often as a result of the shrinking of the soil when conditions that look like drought happens below and around your foundation
- Bulging bricks – This is mostly as a result of corrosion when heavy rain flows on the wall’s side
- Compacted bricks – Bricks compacting on one another are usually caused by a sinking or settling foundation.
- Efflorescence – When the masonry unit is exposed to a lot of moisture, this can lead to white efflorescence. This is usually marked by a white and staining salt despot that is left by water. It’s a sign of a lot of moisture, leading to serious problems.
- Deflection of the steel lintel – Lintels are beams that are commonly used in the masonry walls. When these tend to deflect too much, they can cause cracking of the stiff masonry.
- Deterioration of mortar – When there is excessive moisture, it causes deterioration. If you would like to curb the damage, you should ask the masonry contractor to direct the water away from the bricks.
Common Causes of Issues in Brick Masonry
One of the most common causes of brick masonry problems is the settlement in the foundation. This is often caused by:
- Shrinkage of the soil – This happens as a result of drought-like conditions. When the soil gets dry, it tends to shrink and will pull away from the foundation. This results in the soil weakening, meaning that the soil will be weak and unstable.
- Soil getting poorly compacted – When the soil is poorly compacted, the weight of the structure will compress down on the soil, resulting in the stress of the masonry and brick
- Freeze & thaw cycles – There can be heaving under the brick, leading to cracking. Since cracks will often follow the path with minimum resistance, this will be mortar placed between bricks.
It is advisable to inspect your brick home daily to see if there are signs like flaking and cracking. It’s possible to prevent the majority of masonry and brick problems with proper drainage so that there isn’t any water accumulated around the home. Ensure that the right gutters and downspout extensions have been installed to guard the masonry and brick against any form of water damage.
You can hire professionals from Encinitas Pro Concrete Co. to inspect your masonry and brick issues. In case the problem is a result of the settlement, we will put measures like steel piers in place. Some of the benefits of steel piers include:
- Correct and prevent future problems of the foundation
- Causes immediate transfer of the load
- Restore the foundation and improve the curb appeal of your home
- Supporting and strengthening the foundation
- No need for regular maintenance
- Fast to install
- Can be easily readjusted
- Can be installed in areas with limited space
You need to find a masonry contractor who will check your home to see if there are any settlement signs like misaligned doors and windows, sticking doors & windows, floor cracks, and crumbling foundations. You may end noticing some issues in the sheetrock of the home.